timing marks

sim

timing marks

Postby sim » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi,I've recently bought a wd8,got the parts I need to finish it but need a diagram of the timing marks etc.I am getting the new book by Dave Edgington but am a bit impatient!!!
If someone could mail me this info or post it on this site in the meantime I would be very grateful!
Thanx,Si m

Wizard8838

Re: timing marks

Postby Wizard8838 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 am

Send me your email address via PM and i will send you the page with the marks on it.

I hate to burst your bubble, there are no pictures of timing marks in the NEW book!!

W

solexdoctor

Postby solexdoctor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:58 am

I also have acquired a Wolseley lately, the designation on the engine plates read WD9 but it is very rude bolted underneath the nuts of the crankcase plate it more resembles a WD8 if I compare the pictures.
it must be a late production the oil dip stick nut is plastic ( white) as is the gear the magneto is driven by.

some one must have put this gear in teh wrong postion and I try to locate any timing marks, therefore I joined this forum and put my post where I think it is relevant.

by the way I am a moderator of the dutch solex forum and the members nick named me solexdoctor reason to register me here as such.
recently retired ( used to do failure analysis as a job) and started to collect vintage stationary engines, one of which a Wolseley "eierkoker" ( Dutch) a "must have" for a collector

solexdoctor

Postby solexdoctor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:49 am

I solved my problem, made a marker by bolting a stainless spoke underneath one of the crankcase cover plate nuts.
removed the head and put a white line (T for top dead centre) on the flywheel at the marker.
subsequently rotated the flywheel until the magneto "clicked" ( Sparks there at zero revolutions) als a mark "M" for magneto
way too much retarded, the compression needed to ignite already gone.
By advancing the magneto ( change the gear tooth by tooth in the direction of running) I did bring the "M" closer to the "T" but making sure there still is timing AFTER top dead centre to avoid at all cost a backfire which would crush my wristst when applying the starter handle.
Yes a RUNNER, which allowed me to use a timing light and check the ignition timing while running.
Not Too much of an advance so I gave it anoter go at the gear, another tooth shifted. I could do an extra one since there is stil ignition after TDC,
but for the time being I am satisfied the running timing now is "F" for firing some 6 centimeters on the perimeter of the flywhelle before TDC

Make sure if the slotted plate comes loose to mount it correct BOTH side have the groove a little bit off set ande the grooves are at 90 degrees to ech other to act as a "universal joint" compensating any machining misalignments
Attachments
left hand view.jpg
left hand view.jpg (243.24 KiB) Viewed 97 times
right hand view.jpg
right hand view.jpg (255.41 KiB) Viewed 97 times
engine plate.jpg
engine plate.jpg (173.86 KiB) Viewed 97 times
timing after adjustments.jpg
timing after adjustments.jpg (194.2 KiB) Viewed 97 times
running.jpg
running.jpg (181.63 KiB) Viewed 97 times
off set groove.jpg