WD II big end play

smenkhare

WD II big end play

Postby smenkhare » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi!

I'm still having trouble with the knocking on my WD II. Can anybody tell me how to check the big end for excessive play, please?I've tried watching the bearing while rotating the crank but I can't see any play. It's so inaccessible, ther must be a better way of doing it!

Jim.

smenkhare

Re: WD II big end play

Postby smenkhare » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 am

smenkhare wrote:Hi!

I'm still having trouble with the knocking on my WD II. Can anybody tell me how to check the big end for excessive play, please?I've tried watching the bearing while rotating the crank but I can't see any play. It's so inaccessible, ther must be a better way of doing it!

Jim.

I?ve had the crankshaft out and the big end shells are perfect. I took the oportunity to grind away some of the casting which prevents me from putting a socket on the nut, so I've acieved something, at least.

Hunter

Postby Hunter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Send a PM to Wizard, he is not called Wizard for nothing.
Wolseley WD8, 1949. Two J A Prestwich Zero series, Passion is shearing equipment being a shearer.

smenkhare

Postby smenkhare » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:10 am

Hunter wrote:Send a PM to Wizard, he is not called Wizard for nothing.

I've been talking to Wizard, since I made a new key, he's not come back to me. The interesting thing is that when I press the "stop" button on the mag, the noise still continues until the engine stops, so it is not related to the power stroke in any way. It is purely mechanical.

Jim.

Wizard8838

Postby Wizard8838 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 pm

I haven't forgotten you, i took a load to the council tip in my trailer on monday so i could get into the workshop better and on the way there i was hit up the backside by some idiot who wasn't looking where he was going at 50mph so have done very little as my back is killing me.

The trailer will never go back on the road and the car will probably be written off.

i have suffered whiplash quite badly and im in some considerable pain and cant sleep as i cant settle, hence the time of this post being 02.24 am.

Did go to the workshop earlier to get some stuff out and take pics but i hurt too much, so when i am feeling better or take more pain killers i shall post some pics and stuff to help you out some more.

Its just a shame you are not closer as if i hear it and look through the engine i may be able to tell straight away.

W

smenkhare

Postby smenkhare » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh WOW!
Sorry to hear about that, W, Just goes to show what bad luck can do to the best laid plans of mice and men!
Sorry too if it sounded as though I was complaining, Reading my post back, it did sound a bit like wingeing. That was not my intention. Stay in bed and get well as soon as possible (no hauling engines about!)
I'm certainly isolated here in Luxembourg, (though I wouldn't be anywhere else by choice).
There is an almost imperceptible wobble of the crank (I think, maybe my imagination), could the flywheel be unbalanced? Maybe if I fit the pulley it would help.
There is some damage to one tooth of the crank gear (as though one tooth has ridden over another and slipped a tooth) but it's not great.I'm getting more and more convinced that the problem lies in the gears somewhere. I suspected the bobweights but that cannot be the case if no power is applied. If I had a handle I might be able to turn it fast enough by hant to reproduce the effect.
Don't try to reply until you really feel well enough, nothing worse for your back than leaning over a keyboard.

All the best and get well soon,

Jim.

Hunter

Postby Hunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 am

Bloddy hell Wizard hope you feel better soon, I know from wife's experience shunts are a nightmare, apart from the pain all the paperwork and repairs etc. hope you make a speedy recovery.

Take care.
Wolseley WD8, 1949. Two J A Prestwich Zero series, Passion is shearing equipment being a shearer.

Return to “WD2 (WDII)”