knocking WD II

smenkhare

Re: knocking WD II

Post by smenkhare » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 am

Hi, W.

Yes, I realise I have a problem with the key, the head is not strong enough to support the force of extracting it. I might try filing it to give a better vertical edge ant try getting it out with a wedge and a "G" clamp.
I have worked on much more complex engines before (like an Ariel Square 4), so I don't usually have difficulty diagnosing problems. I could feel no vertical play in the big and small ends, a barely detectable play in the non-flywheel side main and the mains look beautiful, ho scuffing or anything like that. In fact, when I checked the engine it was like new! The piston and rings look fine (I didn't measure the rings in the bore) and there is no step in the bore.
The sticking of the brass arm doen't feel like rust on the shaft, it feels as thoug it is rubbing against a fixed item but I can't see the top end of it where the rubbing is occurring. The "L"-shaped piece of metal on the speed control (with the spring behind it) is worrying me, It's been taken out (split pin damaged), can it be replaced in the wrong positiuon and what is the right position?
I'm still thinking that the flywheel is causing the "clonk". Do you know where I can find a new gib key?

Regards,

Jim.

Wizard8838

Post by Wizard8838 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:25 am

Jim

The best thing to do as all flywheel keys are different is make one from key steel, i have made them and they work just as well as the original and further more you can file it to fit if you make it oversize.

So, nothing is loose or has too much play in it . . . .

And you feel its the flywheel rubbing on the seal cover . . . Could be !

Try fileing the inside of the head of the key to make it flat and try to get it out, if push comes to shove and it wont budge you may need a bit of heat around the area.

Worst case senario the head breaks off the key, then you may have to drill the key out. this i have done on another old Wolseley i have in my collection.

If you have to drill the key out you may need to get some long series drill bits or braze or weld a smaller drill bit to a length of bar just to get to the key, the trick will be getting a big enough drill through the key as to make it weak and the use a large puller to pull the flywheel over the key, as the hole you have drilled in the key will let the key collapse in on itself and the flywheel will and should be easier to get off.

W

smenkhare

Post by smenkhare » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 am

Hi, W,

I would like to make one but I don't know where I would get key steel here in Luxembourg. I must confess to having removed the burrs on the key with a fine stone while I was restoring the engine, I suppose that reduced its width slightly and caused the problem. I see that there are Lister keys for sale, I suppose I could modify one of those to fit.
The flywheel is not rubbing on the seal cover, it's about 3mm away from it.
I have a busy day tomorrow, I'll have another go at it as soon as I can. I don't have a puller large enough to reach from the rear of the flywheel to the end of the shaft, so I will have to improvise.

Best regards,

Jim.

smenkhare

Post by smenkhare » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 am

Hi, Hunter,

I missed your post, sorry!
I land in Dover, take the M20, M25, M40 and M6 to get to Crewe. Does that go anywhere near the workshop?

Jim

Wizard8838

Post by Wizard8838 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 am

Jim

A lister key is far too wide and long to be messing with, you will be there all day trying to make it smaller.

The workshop is located in Ashtead in Surrey, M20, M26, M25 jct 9 and a couple of miles more.

I suppose i could make one for you out of imperial key steel and post it to you if you cant find the key steel in the town where you live.

The workshop is held once a month, the last one was last weekend, the next one which will include an open day will be on the 6th of November, if you can make it let me know and i shall PM you the address.

If you can come over, bring the engine with you.

smenkhare

Post by smenkhare » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi,
I don't mind spending all day if it solves the problem! I've ordered one, anyway, so we'll see what the result is.
I don't think I shall be over before next Easter and there is the problem of where to put the engine as we'll have a carload anyway next time. If I see the possibility, I'll get in touch.

Many, many thanks for all the help.
I'll keep you informed on the results.
Jim.

smenkhare

Post by smenkhare » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 am

hi, W!

Ok, I got the key out, quite easily, with a wedge held behind the head of the key with a "G" clamp.On taking off the pulley, I noticed that there is about 15-20 thou laeral movement in the crankshaft. No vertical movement that I can feel. I checked in the book and there is no mention of shimming the crankshaft to remove side play. Is there something else I should know? Should the pulley be pushed up against the oil seal holder?

Jim.

Wizard8838

Post by Wizard8838 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 am

Jim

Glad to hear the key came out ok without to much fuss.

The pulley or do you mean flywheel should not be tight up against the shaft seal plate, normally when i reasemble a WD i push the shaft as far as i can back into the engine and then give it a couple of extra MM's or i put my steel rule in behind the flywheel to act as a spacer.

Best get your key and modify it to fit, do as i have instructed above and see what happens and then we shall take it from there.

W

smenkhare

Post by smenkhare » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 am

OK, Thanks, W,

Do you think that the lateral play would cause the clonking? It's a similar sort of sound when I push it backwards and forwards manually.

Jim.

Wizard8838

Post by Wizard8838 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 am

Jim

I get a similar sound also when i do that to my Wolseley's.

Dont worry too much.

Get the key sorted and see what happens.

W